Early childhood teacher bridging program
The Early Childhood Teacher Bridging Program (ECTBP) has been developed by DET to assist registered primary trained teachers who wish to work as Early Childhood Teachers. This program recognises that the skill set of teachers is relevant to the early childhood education and care, and maps this to the CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care. ACCCO is registered to deliver this program using DET endorsed learning and assessment materials.
Eligibility to enrol in course
Primary teachers are eligible to enrol in the ECTBP if they hold all of the following:
- A primary teaching qualification that includes a focus on children aged 5 to 8 years old (for example, a qualification with a focus on children aged 3 to 8 or 5 to 12); and
- Teacher registration/accreditation in Australia
Approach to learning and assessment
After completion of HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting (this may be credited if the student already has competency), the student completes 6 clusters of learning and assessment as follows:
- Cluster 1 - Wellbeing and safety (CHCECE002, CHCECE016, HLTWHS003, CHCPRT001)
- Cluster 2 - Provide care and nutrition (CHCECE003, CHCECE004, CHCECE005)
- Cluster 3 - Nurturing relationships and responsive practice (CHCECE007, CHCECE020, CHCECE021, CHCECE026)
- Cluster 4 - Engage and promote children's learning and development (CHCECE017, CHCECE018, CHCECE022, CHCECE023, CHCECE024)
- Cluster 5 - Legislation and service quality (CHCLEG001, CHCECE009, CHCECE019, CHCECE025, BSBLED401)
- Cluster 6 - Diversity (CHCDIV001, CHCDIV002)
- Direct credits will be awarded for CHCPOL003, CHCPRP003, CHCINM002, CHCECE001
In addition to this, students are required to complete on the job assessment in an Approved Early Childhood Service of no less than 240 hours.
The ECTBP is only available via external (self paced) delivery using the ECTBP materials endorsed by DETE. This mode of study allows students to study at a time and place convenient to them, and complete practical components in an ACECQA approved early childhood service. All pre-existing skills and knowledge has already been recognised and credits granted prior to entry, so there is no need to apply for further recognition.
On completion, students will receive a CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care.
In September 2013, ACECQA determined that an Australian registered primary teacher who completes a CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (including via the completion of this ECTBP) can be approved as an Early Childhood Teacher.
This recognition arrangement is subject to ACECQA's approval process and in no way is determined by ACCCO. For all information regarding recognition as an equivalent Early Childhood Teacher under regulation 137(3), please see: http://www.acecqa.gov.au/Recognition-as-an-equivalent-early-childhood-teacher
This program attracts a range of funding assistance to reduce study costs. Minimum cost to student is $200 pending eligiblity for funding. To check your eligibility for funding applicable to you in your state/territory, please click here.
Fees for students not eligible for funding assistance:
- Enrolment fee: $500 including the first cluster
- $300 per cluster
- Additional cost for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting if not already held.
To enquire about enrolment please use the contact us page or phone 1300 139 406