You are here: HomeInternationalInternational Admissions | ACCCO › Australian Student Visa Information for International Admissions | ACCCO

Australian Student Visa Information for International Admissions | ACCCO

Australian student visa

International students need to fill out and submit an Australian Visa application and be approved before coming to the country, if the length of their course is longer than 12 weeks. Short stay visas are for students studying in Australia for less than 12 weeks.

A Student Visa in Australia is a temporary visa issued to non-Australian residents and is granted to students who are enrolled in a CRICOS registered, full time course in Australia. International students can be issued with a multiple entry visa for the duration of their study in Australia. You can travel to and from Australia within the visa period. 

If you need further information on how to apply for a visa to study in Brisbane and the documentation required by the authorities, contact the Australian Government Embassy and Consulate office near where you live. The Australian Embassy and Consulate will be able to assist you with details of registered Australian education agents who can help you lodge your visa application.

As a general guide, travellers are encouraged to apply for their Australian visa well in advance of their planned departure date. Visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for further information: 

What type of visa do I need?

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500). This visa must be applied for using the online system at

Conditions of your Student Visa

  • Maintain enrolment in a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) registered course and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance.
  • Continue to satisfy the requirements of your Student Visa by ensuring the main course of study matches your Student Visa, and that you still have sufficient financial capacity to support your stay in Australia.
  • Notify ACCCO within seven days of any change to your contact details, including home address, mobile number and email address.
  • Must not work more than 40 hours per fortnight during course semesters.
  • Maintain health insurance cover for the entirety of your stay in Australia.
  • Maintain adequate schooling arrangements for any school-age dependents who joined you in Australia on a student dependent visa for more than three months. 

When should I apply?

You can only make an application for an Australian student visa after you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from ACCCO. In order to get a CoE, you must have been given a formal Letter of Offer by ACCO, have accepted it in writing and paid the required deposit toward your tuition fees.

Can I still get a student visa if I’ve already had a working holiday visa for Australia?

Yes, your working holiday visa status has no impact on a student visa application – the two types of visa are completely separate.

How long does the visa last?

Your student visa will last for the duration of your study programme (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course. This time can range from one to three months, depending on the length of your course and the month in which it ends.

Can I apply for another visa when my course ends?

In some circumstances it may be possible to apply for a further visa at the end of your course. Please visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship at to find out what your options are.

How do I apply?

In order to apply for a visa you will need a valid passport, an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and any other documentation required by the Australian Diplomatic Post with which you lodge your application.  

You can apply for an Australian visa online at

The visa application process can be complicated and for students from some countries it may be better to submit an application with the assistance of an accredited education agent due to their familiarity and experience in the field. If you would like to find an accredited education agent near you to help with your study arrangements please visit

Please check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website ( for the most up-to-date information before applying for your visa. 

Take the next step in your career

Click here to get started now