CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
ACECQA Approved: Yes
Centrelink/DHS Approved: Yes
Recognised Australia wide: Yes
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care is the qualification that ACECQA requires for those wanting to take on higher levels of responsibility and leadership in an early childhood service. It is the qualification for those wishing to lead an education and care program for children before they enter formal schooling.
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care provides for employment in the following roles:
- Lead Educator in long day care, child care centres, occasional care
- Family Day Care Educator
- Assistant Educator in a Kindergarten or preschool program, working with a teacher
- Supervisor roles in ACECQA approved services.
- Early Childhood Teacher (for those holding Primary Teaching qualifications. See also the Early Childhood Teacher Bridging Program)
- Other education based employers may accept this qualification, such as working as tutor, education support staff or as teacher aides.
- A good ability to read, write and speak English
- A sound ability to apply numeracy
A current Working with Children Check
Through the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, you will learn what it means to provide a program for babies, toddlers and young children and work in a position of responsibility. There are 28 units of study in this qualification covering topics such as:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating learning programs for children
- Facilitating children’s holistic development and wellbeing
- Managing and maintaining legal and ethical compliance
- Leadership and basic management responsibilities
The list of units and assessment methods is found on the column to the right.
ACECQA's "Actively working towards an approved qualification" Requirements
Students wishing to be considered "actively working towards" an approved Diploma qualification for ACECQA purposes may need to show evidence to their employer / prospective employer that they have successfully completed 11 units of this qualification. Students seeking this approval to be eligible to be classified as "actively working towards a Diploma" will need to maintain a current enrolment and be making satisfactory progress in the Diploma. Click here for ACECQA's requirements for this.
ACCCO offers a variety of delivery options that allows students to complete the qualification in a mode/s that suit individual learning requirements:
- Class: Full Time 48 weeks (or 30 weeks if completed CHC30113) at various locations across Australia. Please contact ACCCO to enquire about timetables and availability
- Class: Part Time up to 96 weeks (or 60 weeks if completed CHC30113) at various locations across Australia. Please contact ACCCO to enquire about timetables and availability
- External Study: Self paced full time or part time, at a place convenient to you
- Traineeships/Apprenticeships: Full time or part time on contract in the workplace
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL): Self paced full time or part time
Help and Support
All students in this qualification are allocated an ACCCO Trainer who will guide them through the qualification. Trainers are all qualified in early childhood education and have at least 5 years' experience completing the job you are wanting to hold.
Trainers offer regular phone, email and face to face support in the workplace so you always have help when you need it!
This qualification attracts funding assistance for eligible persons!!!
Much of the funding provided by the Australian Government is directed at teaching and learning in higher education through a range of initiatives. Funding varies between State / Territories so please check below for eligibility requirements for what is available in your area.
Please click here or phone ACCCO on 1300 139 406, for fees applicable to you in your local area.
How to Apply
Once you have made the decision to apply for a qualification you will need to download an enrolment pack and complete a Literacy, Numeracy and Language Indicator (LLN).
You will need to attach the following documents with your application:
- Colour copy of Passport or Driver’s Licence. (Proof of ID+ residency) - If passport provided please provide a copy of a bank statement or utility bill issued within the last 6 months showing your current residential address.
- Colour copy of either: current green Medicare care; Birth Certificate; current Australian passport; current New Zealand passport; or Australian citizenship certificate. (Proof of citizenship)
- Colour copy of Certificates and Statement Results for any previously attained or partially completed qualifications completed in or recognised in Australia.
Before you submit your application it is important that you provide all the above required documents. Without these we are unable to process your application.
Please submit your application to email@example.com. Alternatively you can post or visit us.
For more information on how to apply please refer to our Enrolment Fact Sheet.